Dental Implant Bridge, a fixed solution for multiple missing teeth
A dental implant bridge uses dental implants to support a bridge, as opposed to natural teeth. A dental implant bridge is suitable when more than one tooth is missing.
Dental implant bridge construction is more complex than a standard bridge. However, it offers many advantages and benefits. There is no need to remove your teeth at night before you go to bed. Fixed into place, a dental implant retained bridge is strong and lasts up to 10 years. A dental implant retained bridge will look and work just like natural teeth!
Dental implant bridge where not all the teeth on the arch are missing
A standard bridge requires the preparation of teeth for support, whereas, a dental implant bridge first requires dental implant placement. This does increase the treatment time but, offers lots of advantages. By not preparing natural teeth to support the bridge, there is no damage to any remaining teeth. The bridge replaces two or more teeth and fits in and around natural teeth. A dental implant bridge does not need one implant per missing teeth. Proper treatment planning allows it to fix into place using the minimum number of dental implants.
Dental Implant bridge where all teeth in an arch are missing
A dental implant bridge is also the gold standard treatment where no teeth are present. Under normal circumstances, where all the teeth are missing, the options are removable. By removable, we mean that it is not fixed in place, for instance, a denture, or an implant retained denture. A non-removable implant bridge provides a fixed result, similar to natural teeth. A full arch implant retained bridge does not need as many implants as you would think. In general, most full arch dental implant bridges use 6 implants for support. However, in some cases, even fewer dental implants will offer suitable support.
Advantages of a dental implant bridge
- Fixed into place, therefore, no need to remove it.
- They provide a natural tooth appearance
- Shade/ Colour of the bridge is individually selected
- Eat anything you choose
- No need to damage adjacent healthy teeth
- Prevents shrinkage of the underlying bone
Disadvantages of a dental implant bridge
- More expensive than implant retained dentures
- Will need more implants for support than other options, therefore more surgery
- It does require significant maintenance and regular check-ups
- When ceramic forms part of the restoration, if it chips or fractures, this is difficult to repair. Other materials which are easier to repair can are available for use.
- Not always appropriate for patients with a high smile line
Dental Implants Costs
Do not dental implant costs concern you and become a barrier to having the ideal treatment. We offer lots of solutions to help you cover the dental implant costs. Contact us for a discussion regarding how we can help you. Local dental implants from a dentist near you.